Thursday 17 January 2013

Linkedin Loser? Or Linkedin Mover?



1) Be different: If everyone's doing it, what makes you think anyone will notice you on Linkedin?

When it comes to your business development strategy, it's ok to jump on the bandwagon that everyone else is on, but your strategy must also contain elements which are genuinely different.

Tip 1:  if you connect with me or endorse me, you will be thanked. It's just common courtesy on my part but no one else seems to do it... so I do! 

2) Be meaningful: Once upon a time, in the land of Linkedin, people used to write recommendations for each other. Writing recommendations took time and effort so in most cases you tended to write them for people who you genuinely rated and whose work you had experienced, thus to some extent, recommendations stood as a mark of quality.

But then something happened ... we all started endorsing each other and wrote less recommendations. Most weeks, I receive endorsements from people I've never met and who've never used me. The result is that endorsements have become somewhat meaningless but because they're quick and easy, we favour endorsements instead of recommendations. Whether you are on Facebook, Twitter, or Linkedin, ensure your activity is meaningful and sincere.

Tip 2: I will only endorse people who I know very well in the professional sense, and whose work I have personally experienced.

3) Be useful: Social media provides an excellent platform to add value. Ensure your posts are geared towards offering value to the people you interact with, rather than selling your wares. I remember the people who post interesting stuff, but I tend to skip straight past special offers, deals and anything I judge to be salesy.

Tip 3: Most of my posts on Twitter and Linkedin, will link you to my blog where you can receive free tips and ideas on business development, leadership, resilience and other areas I deliver training on. I do deliver some sales messages within these posts, but I ensure that they are in the minority.  

If you want to get smart with your time ...  get 'CLOCKWISE - 5 great time management principles'  (available now on iTunes and Amazon), or book one of my unique business performance sessions: 

Clockwise - 5 great time management principles
The Mole Hill Approach - 4 great resilience principles
Mission Possible - How to sell when your buyers aren't buying 
Leadership Toolbox 2013 - How to lead when times are tough
Mind Games - Taking the stress out of stress management  
Going The Extra Miles - Cultural awareness and success overseas

(all sessions can be experienced in half and full day workshops, as well as 1 and 2-hour-long seminars, delivered over a period of time)

Thanks for reading. 

I help organisations to become more profitable by developing their people.

Call me - 0121 420 3457 / 07760 444 946
Email me - enquiries@impactlife.co.uk
Connect with me on Linkedin -  http://www.linkedin.com/in/andrewpain
Like me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ImpactLifeUK
Check out my website - www.impactlife.co.uk 

No comments:

Post a Comment