Thursday 3 January 2013

Business Development Tip 2 - USPs v GSPs


A car which could fly ... now that would be a pretty cool unique selling point!

But the problem with the majority of USPs is that in reality, there's very few which are genuinely unique.

"Our business is a 6 partner practice with offices in Birmingham and London"

"I've been in business for over 23 years"

"The difference with us, is that we genuinely care about the quality of our print"

"The thing about me is that I'm a maverick"


The above phrases are real examples of unique selling points, pitched to me by people trying to sell their services and products. Unfortunately, they're all meaningless phrases and say nothing about why I should use that particular business, rather than hiring one of their competitors.

  • None of the statements identify how my pain will be solved or how my aims will be achieved by using that particular business.
  • With the exception of the first example, the above phrases are too general.
  • In all of the above cases, none of the claims are particularly impressive. 

The fact is that they are not USPs, they're GSPs (generic selling points) and your use of such statements will indicate to your prospect that you're just another salesperson, thus reducing your ability to influence. Ask yourself the following questions before you speak to your clients:

  • Are my USPs genuinely brilliant? 
  • Are they clearly communicated in a creative and concise manner?
  • If I put myself in my customer's shoes, would I be impressed by my USPs?
  • If I was in a room of 30 people who do exactly what I do, would I have something I could share with them, which would inspire them to copy what I am doing? 

If you answered 'no' to any of the above questions, I'd love to talk to you!

Call me - 0121 420 3457 / 07760 444 946
Email me - enquiries@impactlife.co.uk
Connect with me on Linkedin - http://www.linkedin.com/in/andrewpain
Like me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ImpactLifeUK
Follow me on twitter - www.twitter.com/andrewpain1974
Check out my website - www.impactlife.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment