Sunday 24 March 2013

Leadership Howler 9 - Straight Talking v In-Your-Face Talking


Many leaders revel in their ability to straight-talk.

"I say it how it is"

"I cut through the c**p"

"I say what needs to be said"

"What you see is what you get"

They can see it as a major strength, as something which demonstrates sharp thinking, courage and intelligence. But whether or not their straight-talking has been successful, can only be judged by the outcome, much of which is determined by how the people on the receiving end of it feel.

For the people who have to endure it, straight-talking often demoralises or creates resentment because it lacks sensitivity and is delivered prematurely, whilst for the straight talker, it's an opportunity for an ego boost and to let off steam.

If you see yourself as a straight talker, it's not necessarily a bad thing and it can be an important strength. But in order to use this strength wisely, I recommend you adhere to the following tips, so that your straight talking leads to a positive outcome, rather than a cold smack in the face for the people who have to endure it.

- Never straight-talk via email or text.

- Always straight-talk after you've stood in the other person's shoes and considered how your straight talking would best be delivered.

- Always deliver it with a clear win/win outcome in mind.

- Always deliver it after a full consideration of the facts, and never before.

- Always deliver it after you've weighed-up the crucial question. Is this an ego boost for me? Or is it genuinely to create a positive and win/win outcome?

If your straight-talking is in-your-face-talking, people won't warm to you and if they don't warm to you, delivering long-lasting influence is virtually impossible.

Thanks for reading

I help businesses become more profitable by developing their people: 

Call me - 0121 420 3457 / 07760 444 946
Email me - enquiries@impactlife.co.uk
Connect with me on Linkedin - http://www.linkedin.com/in/andrewpain
Like me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ImpactLifeUK
Follow me on twitter - www.twitter.com/andrewpain1974
Check out my website - www.impactlife.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment