Saturday 23 March 2013

Valentine's day - help your clients feel the love!



Valentines Day      -      Christmas      -      Guy Fawkes     -       Easter      -       April Fools

These dates offer excellent opportunities to be creative with your message but in seizing the moment on the calendar, nail it! ... don't miss & cause yourself an injury!

Example:

On Valentine's Day, two years go, I received an e-shot from a business trainer.  It started with ... "Hello lover" and had some love hearts on it in order to cash in on the fact that it was Valentine's Day. But that was it. The valentine theme wasn't carried through the message, there was nothing amusing, no clever message, no gift and nothing of particular interest.

It indicated to me that this particular individual didn't put much time into his message ... so I guess I won't be using him anytime soon.

In contrast, my mother (proud owner of a Honda Jazz), received a Valentine's card from Honda. The message was witty, it cleverly used the valentine theme and it made us all smile. It was made of good quality card and inside were some vouchers which gave my mum a free service for her car. So she got her Honda serviced … and last year, guess what?... she upgraded her Honda by buying yet another Honda!

So what?

I'm definitely in favour of using the dates in the calendar to provide imaginative themes for my marketing material. However, when I cash in on these dates, I tread a very cautious line and ask myself two key questions:
  • Will it make my customers smile? 
  • Does this message offer anything useful to the people who receive it?  
If I'm hesitant in my answers, I'd rather pass and give it a miss, or head back to the drawing board to start again.

My best marketing campaign yet:

Last year I nicked Honda's marketing idea and developed it for my own campaign. I sent valentines cards to my existing clients and to my most desired prospects. The cards were witty, colourful, made on good card, sent in pink, hand-written envelopes (to ensure they got opened) and were specifically themed with slightly different messages for men, women, existing clients and prospective clients. Each card also contained a small gift in the form of a lucky-dip lottery ticket. I had plenty of replies, all of them warm and from the campaign alone,  I won several pieces of business from clients who have since given me repeat business.



Thanks for reading

I help people to achieve more by developing their resilience, influence and productivity: 

Call me - 0121 420 3457 / 07760 444 946
Email me - enquiries@impactlife.co.uk
Connect with me on Linkedin - http://www.linkedin.com/in/andrewpain
Like me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ImpactLifeUK
Follow me on twitter - www.twitter.com/andrewpain1974
Check out my website - www.impactlife.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment