Wednesday 13 February 2013

Business Development Tip: How to avoid the mistakes of Toby Carvery marketing


I was recently listening to Heart radio station (not my normal channel I hasten to add) when up popped an advertisment from Toby Carvery. If it had been April 1st, I would have thought it was a prank, but it wasn't April 1st.
  • Toby Carvery claims to do the 'best roast dinner you'll ever have'.
  • Toby Carvery then describes each part of the roast dinner in detail including 'succulent meats', 'fluffy, 7 centimetre high yorkshire puddings', 'crunchy roast potatoes' and 'famous gravy'.
Am I the only person for whom the above statements and Toby Carvery simply don't go together?

My memory of the Toby Carvery is of over-cooked meat, potatoes as tough as old shoes, yorkshire puddings which are either too soggy or too dry and as for the famous gravy, I'd rather take my own!

So what's this got to do with your business?

When you deliver your message to your customers:

1) Play to your strengths: Focus on delivering a message which genuinely draws out your unique selling points but which also balances integrity and a compelling reason to buy.

If the Toby Carvery focused less on things they don't deliver and more on the things they do really well, such as:

A) Low-cost roasts (which are decent enough and good value for the price - with a bit of english flair, this feature can still be effectively articulated without compromising the truth)
B) Large portions (for most of the meal, you serve yourself)
C) Consistency (you know what you'll get whether you go to a Toby Carvery in Scunthorpe or Birmingham)

... they would deliver a message which is still impressive, but which also paints a realistic picture of what the Toby Carvery experience is really like.

2) Be careful with your promises: If I'd never been to the Toby Carvey, but I now tried it out on the strength of that radio advert, I'd be mightily disappointed. I'd probably write something about it on Facebook and Trip Advisor and I'd never go back - why do Toby Carvery want that? The truth is they don't and they could easily avoid such a scenario if they played to their true strengths.

Thanks for reading

I help businesses become more profitable by developing their people: 

Call me - 0121 420 3457 / 07760 444 946
Email me - enquiries@impactlife.co.uk
Connect with me on Linkedin - http://www.linkedin.com/in/andrewpain
Like me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ImpactLifeUK
Follow me on twitter - www.twitter.com/andrewpain1974
Check out my website - www.impactlife.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment