Thursday 5 January 2012

Leadership Howler 2 - Crawling your talk


Make sure you walk your talk, rather than crawl your talk because as the leader, you set the tone for the behaviour of your team.

I recently worked with a team leader (I'll call her Sarah for reasons of confidentiality) and she despaired at the lack of good time management among her team members:

"They simply don't prioritise"

"He's runs around like a headless chicken"

"She gets bogged down in things which aren't important"

Interestingly, within a few weeks of working with her, I was subjected to several last-minute cancellations and one 'no-show'. It was pretty clear that her team members were not the only ones with time management issues!

Whether your team members respect you or not, as the leader, they'll follow your lead to some degree. If you work long hours, jump reactively from task to task, neglect the important things and live chaotically, don't expect your team members to fare any better.

Tip: 

A) Write a list of the ideal behavioural traits and habits of your 'dream team'.

B) When it's complete, work through the list with a friend/parent/partner (or someone else who is prepared to be honest with you) and identify 2-3 areas on the list where you know you personally struggle.

C) Develop some small actions you could take, so you get better at the areas you identified and you walk your talk, rather than crawl it.

Call me - 0121 420 3457 / 07760 444 946
Email me - enquiries@impactlife.co.uk
Connect with me on Linkedin - http://www.linkedin.com/in/andrewpain
Like me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ImpactLifeUK
Follow me on twitter - www.twitter.com/andrewpain1974
Check out my website - www.impactlife.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment