Friday 12 April 2013

Business Development Tip: Titles tip the balance

                 37 new clients gained in one month 

I received an e-shot recently and the title of the message began with the fatal word "Hurry". It certainly did make me hurry, but only to the delete button on my laptop!

I received another e-shot with an abrupt question, "do you like chocolate?" to which my only thought was "SO WHAT"? followed by the next predictable action ... delete!

Does this happen to anyone else?

Because we're so inundated with emails, some of which are spam, some of which we signed up to in years gone by, and some of which are genuinely important, we've become ruthless in sifting through our emails and weeding out the sales stuff as quickly as possible.

More than ever, if you want someone to read your e-shot, the title of that e-shot is absolutely crucial. It needs to find the balance between catchy, punchy and interesting and then of course, be followed by a message which gives value to the reader, rather than (or as well as), buy - buy - buy!

My most successful e-shots in both terms of number of people opening them and the positive feedback which followed, were titled:

- Business Development: What NOT to do (4 cardinal sins)

- Standing out from the crowd on Linkedin

- Time Management Tip 1: PUB Power

Given you'll never have met or spoken to some (or many) of the people who receive your e-shots, do your messages really tread the careful line of Catchy v Rude? Clever v Cheesy? Punchy v Abrupt? Mysterious v Pointless?

Thanks for reading

I help businesses become more profitable by developing their people: 

Call me - 0121 420 3457 / 07760 444 946
Email me - enquiries@impactlife.co.uk
Connect with me on Linkedin - http://www.linkedin.com/in/andrewpain
Like me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ImpactLifeUK
Follow me on twitter - www.twitter.com/andrewpain1974
Check out my website - www.impactlife.co.uk



No comments:

Post a Comment